Sunday, September 24, 2006

Where are all the Mothers of Teens?


My blog began as a way to vent. I never thought that others would actually read it, but wanted to thank those of you who have read it and left comments. It's nice to hear from others who've been through it and encouraging to know your adult children made it through okay.

Lately, I've been discovering all types of blogs written by women through links like Blog Village, Blogging Chicks, Women Bloggers, etc. and have noticed how many other "mom" blogs there are out there! Most are moms with babies and younger children or pre-teens -- those that find motherhood crazy and joyful at the same time. Where are all the mothers of teens?

I have to wonder if like me, they've found motherhood no longer fun? Or are they too busy with their own drama to even find time to write it down? It used to be natural to compare notes with other parents, but I find myself ashamed of all that's happened to us this past year or so. It's not something I want to share with others outside of this blog or immediate family. Kids dabbling in drugs, being expelled from school or seeing a psychologist for mood disorders are not everyday topics you chat about in the office or grocery store.

What about mothers of 20-somethings? Is it possible that now that their kids are (hopefully) safely out of the nest, they no longer need to define themselves by motherhood alone, as they did for so many years?

Comments:
Glad to see another post. Maybe it's because moms are busy, I don't know. I know that blogging has become a way for me to express myself much more openly than I'd ever dare do elsewhere. Maybe, other moms don't need that. My blog, though, isn't really a mom blog--I just write about parenting as things come up and some things I do keep private because I have my name attached.

My children, 17 year old high school senior and 29 year old married first son, are the lights of my life. But we had "issues" as they say. All parents do.
 
I have a teenage daughter and have been lucky enough to find a few blogging mommies of teens. I find that I talk more about my three year old though, because the teenager reads. I don't want to embarass her on the blog.

Here are some links to some mothers of teens.

Marian at Kirala has a son who just left for college.

Jennifer at Open Book has a son who is about to enter the Navy and a twenty something daughter.

Meno at Menosblog has a teenage daughter.

Once you find a few older mommies you find that the people who frequent their blogs are moms of teens too.
 
Your site is helpful to me because I have a granddaughter who is starting her teens. And I have a stepson who is twenty.

Your blog keeps me current. Thank you.
 
As I said in my comment to your previous post, my kids are in thei 20s. They still live at home and are nearly driving me crazy as it seems they are never going to settle and stop causing me worry! They are worse than 2 teenagers!

I'd love to meet some other mums of 20 year-olds in a similar situation - but, like you, I have to ask: "Where are they?".

Take care.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?